lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Schmidt, Dennis" <dennis.schm...@sap.com>
Subject Search requires too long search term
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2011 23:51:06 GMT
Hi there,

I am using Lucene for an actually quite simple search. I am not indexing long texts, but instead
each document only has a couple of fields with texts from one word to a very short sentence
(no more than 6 words usually). Now I need to find documents even with only two characters
typed in by the user.

So for instance, I have a document with only the fields 'hasName', 'hasTechName' and the value
'create'. What I need is to find this document, when the user typed in 'cr'. But at the moment
I would at least have to type in 'creat'. The query I send to the QueryParser looks like this
"hasName:*cr* OR hasTechName:*cr*" and I pass true to setAllowLeadingWildcard . For collecting
the results I use the TopScoreDocCollector.

Any suggestions on where I would have to change something to make my search be more "generous"?
At the moment I have really no idea what to do...
Thanks, Dennis

Dennis Schmidt
Research Intern
SAP Research Sydney | Level 3, 168 Walker Street | 2065 North Sydney, NSW | Australia
mailto:dennis.schmidt@sap.com<mailto:dennis.schmidt@sap.com>
www.sap.com<http://www.sap.com/>
Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this e-mail.