lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Scale out design patterns
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 06:24:40 GMT
On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 05:54 +0100, Ganesh wrote:
> 2. Consider a scenario I am sharding based on the User, I am having single search server
and It is handling 1000 members. Now as the memory consumption is high,  I have added one
more search server. New users could access the second server but what about the old users,
their data will be still added to the server1. How to address this issue. Is rebuilding the
index the only way.

You can move old users by reindexing their data at the new server and
deleting them from the old one? That's only a partial modification.

If you are about to move a whole lot of users, you can copy the old
index, delete all documents from the copy, except the ones that are to
be moved, then merge the pruned index with the new one.