lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Payloads API and support
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 16:07:33 GMT

On Feb 1, 2011, at 2:59 AM, Ophir Cohen wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been using Lucene for more than 5 years and it is a great tool - great job! Thanks
for everything...

Thanks.

Just so you know going forward, please be patient in expecting answers, especially for complex
questions like this that involve fairly expert usages of Lucene.  From what I can tell, you
have sent the same question 3 times in a matter of less than a day.  Sending more than once
in a 2-3 day period is just going to make it less likely that you will get help, not more
likely.

Some suggestions inline below.

> Lately I encountered the new payloads support and it looks its a great solution for my
project.

> *The problem:*
>
> The use case is as follows:
>
> I need to support a way to calculate statistics on web pages.
>
> Each page has few metrics that comes with it (how many user saw it, what was the average
time on page etc...).

> The requirement is to support query such as:
>
> How many users saw pages contains the tokens 'house' and 'white'.
>
> Or
>
> What was the average time on pages contains tokens 'horse' and 'pony'.
>

> *First solution:*
>
> Add pages to Lucene, index the words and store the metrics.
>
> *The problem: performance.*
>
> Not as regular search, I need to provide results for all matched documents and those
I need to iterate on all results and load the document data.
> This method take to much time.
>

> *Better solution:*
>
> Store the metrics as payloads and calculate the needed data without access to the storage
- a huge performance boost.

I think the better solution is to use the first approach, but to use the FieldCache on your
metrics instead of stored documents and combine that w/ a custom Collector.