lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "suman.holani" <suman.hol...@zapak.co.in>
Subject RE: fields : stored and indexed
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:56:55 GMT
Hi ,

Thanks its useful.

One thing , if I reduce the number of fields by setting them INDEX.NO will
it affect searching speed.But yes ,I will be storing those fields in index.

Let say there are 5 fields A,B,C,D,E

---with first index having all fields config as  STORE.YES and
INDEX.ANALYZED

---another index having
A  STORE.YES and INDEX.NO
B  STORE.YES and INDEX.NO
C  STORE.YES and INDEX.NO
D  STORE.YES and INDEX.ANALYZED
E  STORE.YES and INDEX.ANALYZED

Will second index searching will be faster.

Regards,
suman

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lea [mailto:ian.lea@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:52 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: fields : stored and indexed

http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/fileformats.html will tell you all
you need to know about what is stored where and how.

In general, the speed of searching i.e. finding matching docs will not
be affected by the number of stored fields but retrieving data from
lots of stored fields will certainly take longer than retrieving data
from fewer stored fields.

Only index the fields you need to search on and only store the fields
you need to retrieve.  If you only need to retrieve some of the stored
fields use a FieldSelector.

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveSearchingSpeed has good info
on making searching fast.

--