lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Aylward <r...@glassdoor.com>
Subject RE: is OpenBitSet / SortedVIntList compressed bit map index?
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:05:21 GMT
I don't recall how we decided to use it, but we are using http://code.google.com/p/compressedbitset/
and it seems to be pretty efficient in terms of memory.

-----Original Message-----
From: Federico Fissore [mailto:federico@fissore.org]
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 3:12 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: is OpenBitSet / SortedVIntList compressed bit map index?

First Last, il 07/01/2011 20:55, ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> is OpenBitSet / SortedVIntList a compressed bit map index? Which one is
> better if memory usage is the primary concern ?

SortedVIntList is compressed, OpenBitSet is not

> Our filters are sparse. So is SortedVIntList better in that case?

Yes

> Are there any other compressed bitmap index implementations which offer bit
> map compression at a decent performance assuming filters are sparse?

I'm too looking for alternative implementations of compressed bitsets,
so I'm too really interested in everybody experience: my primary concern
at the moment is serializing bitsets to recover searcher warmup time

I've tried some and roughly tested them: my conclusion was that we
(lucene users) already stand on the rolls royce of bitset implementations.

federico