lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sean Joyce <s...@arluckpromotions.com>
Subject lucene across many clients
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:58:07 GMT
Hi Lucene Users,

I work on a product with several thousand clients. We use Lucene to
index various client data and make the functionality available as part
of our product. Currently, each client has its own index for security
reasons, but I am wondering if this is the best way to handle the
indexing moving forward. Right now we don't take advantage of the near
real-time indexing. As we scale up (and potentially incorporate NRT),
I am wondering if an index per client is the best way to architect the
system. Maintaining hundreds or more IndexWriters in memory to support
NRT seems potentially problematic. Perhaps a better way would be to
create one large index (or several large indices) and use a BitSet to
to limit the results to only the relevant client. Has any one worked
on a system similar to this one and can provide some architecture
advice?

-Sean