lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: gracefully interrupting an optimize
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:04:10 GMT
Yes, this is what's expected -- the exception notifies the thread
calling optimize that the merge was aborted.

Mike

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM,  <v.sevel@lombardodier.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I suppose that as you suggested, if I do a close(false) during an optimize
> I am supposed to expect the following exception:
>
> java.io.IOException: background merge hit exception: _3ud72:c33936445
> _3uqhr:c126349 _3uuf8:c57041 _3v27p:c78599 _3vf2s:c111005 _3vfad:c6574
> _3vrcj:c130263 _3vrci:c1224 into _3vrck [optimize] [mergeDocStores]
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:2859)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:2794)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:2764)
>        at logserver.LuceneWriter.optimize(LuceneWriter.java:91)
>        at logserver.SweeperMgr.optimize(SweeperMgr.java:196)
>        at logserver.SweeperMgr.safelyExecute(SweeperMgr.java:104)
>        at logserver.SweeperMgr.access$1(SweeperMgr.java:90)
>        at logserver.SweeperMgr$1.run(SweeperMgr.java:74)
> Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeAbortedException:
> merge is aborted: _3ud72:c33936445 _3uqhr:c126349 _3uuf8:c57041
> _3v27p:c78599 _3vf2s:c111005 _3vfad:c6574 _3vrcj:c130263 _3vrci:c1224 into
> _3vrck [optimize] [mergeDocStores]
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$OneMerge.checkAborted(MergePolicy.java:122)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger$CheckAbort.work(SegmentMerger.java:788)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTermInfos(SegmentMerger.java:650)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeTerms(SegmentMerger.java:586)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:154)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:5045)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:4630)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:235)
>        at
> org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:291)
>
> right? I can interpret this as "everything is as planned".
>
> thanks
>
>
> Vincent Sevel
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
>
>
> 21.01.2011 15:48
> Please respond to
> java-user@lucene.apache.org
>
>
>
> To
> java-user@lucene.apache.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: gracefully interrupting an optimize
>
>
>
>
>
>
> No.
>
> If you just do IW.close() <-- no boolean specified, then that defaults
> to IW.close(true) which means "wait for all BG merges to finish".
>
> So "normally" IW.close() reserves the right to take a long time.
>
> But IW.close(false) should finish relatively quickly...
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net> wrote:
>> Would that happen "automagically" at finalization?
>>
>> paul
>>
>>
>> Le 21 janv. 2011 à 15:13, Michael McCandless a écrit :
>>
>>> If you call optimize(false), that'll return immediately but run the
>>> optimize "in the background" (assuming you are using the default
>>> ConcurrentMergeScheduler).
>>>
>>> Later, when it's time to stop optimizing, call IW.close(false), which
>>> will abort any running merges yet keep any merges that had finished
>>> (so some work, but not necessarily all work, is lost); it should
>>> return quickly.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM,  <v.sevel@lombardodier.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> Each night I optimize an index that contains 35 millions docs. Its
> takes
>>>> about 1.5 hours. For maintenance reasons, it may happen that the
> machine
>>>> gets rebooted. In that case, server gets a chance to gracefully
> shutdown,
>>>> but eventually, the reboot script will kill the processes that did not
>>>> stop in time. My preference would to stop gracefully the optimize
> rather
>>>> than getting the process killed. Is there a way to do that?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Vincent
>>>>
>>>> ************************ DISCLAIMER ************************
>>>> This message is intended only for use by the person to
>>>> whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is
>>>> privileged and confidential. Its content does not
>>>> constitute a formal commitment by Lombard Odier
>>>> Darier Hentsch & Cie or any of its branches or affiliates.
>>>> If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
>>>> kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
>>>> message. Thank You.
>>>> *****************************************************************
>>>>
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
>
>
>
>
> ************************ DISCLAIMER ************************
> This message is intended only for use by the person to
> whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is
> privileged and confidential. Its content does not
> constitute a formal commitment by Lombard Odier
> Darier Hentsch & Cie or any of its branches or affiliates.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
> kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
> message. Thank You.
> *****************************************************************
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message