lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From software visualization <softwarevisualizat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Lucene to search live, being-edited documents
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:59:24 GMT
Hi sorry for the long delay.

The idea is that a single user is editing a single document. As they edit,
any indexes built against the document become stale, actually wrong.
Example:  references to specific localities within this document are all
instantly wrong the first time a user types a new beginning  character-
they're all off by one. Deleting  words is of course disastrous etc. etc.
 So our story is- we used to have this document nicely indexed and now we
have nothing useful.

Considering what Lucene does prior to indexing, stemming for instance,  I am
not sure no, I am quite sure I can't  recreate the same powerful indexing
functionality.

But it seems wrong  to lure our users into opening this document with
promises that this that and the other thing is has been located for them
only to invalidate all that just because they began to edit the document. I
understand why that happens , but my users are perhaps not as tech savvy and
I think it will just feel "wrong" to them.

So I am looking for a way around this.