lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Highlight Wildcard Queries: Scores
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:18:55 GMT
It is, I think, a legitimate question to ask whether scoring is worthwhile
on wildcards. That is,
does it really improve the user experience? Because the MaxBooleanClause
gets tripped
pretty quickly if you add the terms back in, so you'd have to deal with
that.

Would your users be satisfied with sorting in the case of only searching on
wildcard characters
by, say, dates or titles or subjects or.....?

Then just let the scoring work on fields that aren't wildcarded...

This may not be reasonable in your particular case, but it's worth
considering before assuming that
scoring is necessary on wildcard terms.

Best
Erick