lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Pelit Mamani <Pelit.Mam...@timetoknow.com>
Subject Result ordering
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:33:10 GMT
Hi,

I'm maintaining some Lucene-based code, and we're trying to get control over result ordering
(users aren't happy with the default).
I know how to boost a Field or Document (very useful).
But:

1)      Is there a way to boost "OR" queries, based on the number of matched terms?
So the OR query "lord rings" will first show the document "LORD of the RINGS" (which holds
both words), and only later "selected jewels and RINGS" (which only holds one word).
Is that what you call "Term Frequency"? And how do you boost it further?
I did a bit of tinkering and got the impression Lucene would boost it by default, but not
enough - it's sometimes overridden by other boosting factors (maybe the boost for short expressions).

2)      Is there a way to boost based on "positions"?
So "LORD of the RINGS" gets precedence over "LORD of the funny golden RINGS", because the
search words are positioned closer to each other?

3)      With wildcard searches, is there a way to boost documents that hold an exact match.
So if I search for "ring*", I first see the exact match "story of a RING", and only later
"a RINGING failure"

Thanx a bunch.