lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From sol myr <solmy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question on writer optimize() / file merging?
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:15:40 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the behavior of file merging / optimization.
I see that whenever my IndexWriter calls 'commit()', it creates a new file (or fileS).
I also see these files merged when calling 'optimize()' , as much as allowed by the parameter
'NoCFSRatio' .

But I'm still trying to figure out:

1) Will my writer still perform some file merging, even if I don't explicitly call 'optimize()'?

2) Is there a way to configure the number or files, or their size?

3) I always keep an open IndexSearcher (and IndexReader). I know they should be re-opened
when a change occurs, but it's not crucial to see changes immediately, so I just poll periodically,
and it might be a few minutes before my reader is re-opened and allowed to see changes.
But will this approach disturb the writer's ability to optimize / merge files? If a reader
is open, will it prevent file merging?

Thanks