lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Amr ElAdawy <Amr.ElAd...@etisalat.com>
Subject Re: Search Score percentage, Should not be relative to the highest score
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:09:28 GMT

Consider the following.

Query: term1 term2
Doc1: term1 term2
Doc2: term1 term2 term3 term4
Doc3: term1 term1 term3
Doc4: term3 term4

For the above documents, Doc1 and Doc2 will b exact match ( as they contain
all the terms in the search Query). Doc3 is partially match as it contains
term1 only (we neglect the term frequency tf always 1

The score percentage ( calculated by Lucene in Hits.java line 133) and will
be

Doc1: 100%
Doc2: 100%
Doc3:  80%

This is not a problem at all, the problem occurs when there is no exact
matching document as following:

Query: term1 term2
Doc1: term1 term3
Doc2: term2  term3 term4
Doc3: term1 term1 term3
Doc4: term3 term4

The score will be calculated as

Doc1: 100%
Doc2: 100%
Doc3:  50%

You can see that Doc1 and Doc2 got 100% despite that they are not exact
match. but as they got the highest score, Lucene considers them 100% match.

This is my problem

All I need is to make the percentage correct in the second case so it will
be something as

Doc1: 50%
Doc2: 50%
Doc3:  30%