lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Earl Hood <e...@earlhood.com>
Subject Re: Forcing specific index file names
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:46:49 GMT
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : It is possible to always have Lucene end up with the
> : same set of index filenames for each index generation
> : process?
>
> this smells like an XY problem .... why do you car what the file names
> are? that's an implementtaion detail of lucene -- the directory as a whole
> is the index -- what are you trying to do that you are concerned about
> wanting to "rename" the files?

I have to create patch sets against two version of a data
set in a directory tree structure, and the data set contains
a lucene index.

However, if the filenames are not consistent for the index,
then the delta program thinks they are completely new
files vs just doing an xdelta on the index data.

If renaming is not possible, the delta program will
have to have lucene awareness about variations in
the filenames between two versions of a data set
tree.  I guess I will have to do this if I am going
to be lectured about how to develop software.

>From a design perspective, I figured if the process
that builds the data sets and the lucene index can
be modified to make sure the lucene index files are
consistently named, the delta computation program
can stay agnostic about lucene and just do a basic
tree differencing algorithm.

--ewh