lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <cdor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Forcing specific index file names
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:49:39 GMT
> I could make an exception in the patch creation program to detect
> that there is a lucene directly, and diff the .cfs files, even if
> they have different names, but was seeing if I can avoid that
> so the patch program can be agnostic about the contents of the
> directory tree.

Doing only this is insufficient - .cfs files are referred to (by name) by
segments files. There can be multiple .cfs files. There can be multiple
segments files. See Lucene's File Format documentation - e.g.
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/fileformats.html#Segments%20File.

As Erick pointed, when exactly the same indexing scenario takes place you
should have ended up with the same index files (content and name). So if
running into different file names is something that happens only in your
test env, better make sure that indeed the tests behavior reflect actual
"field behavior" - just to make sure you are not spending too much time on
optimizing a scenario that can happen in your tests but will never happen in
"production".

Assuming you check this and find that the scenario that creates identical
indexes with different file names is possible and common and should be
optimized, then a more involved solution would be required to make sure that
the decision not to copy a certain file is correct.

Perhaps I'll change my mind after understanding the scenario that creates
this, but for now I'd rather not to ignore the file names differences.

Doron