lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: The logic of QueryParser
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:16:31 GMT
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Yonik Seeley
> <yonik@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
>> I think of the Lucene QueryParser like SQL. SQL is text based and also
>> meant for human entered text - but for either very expert users, or
>> programmatically created queries.  You normally don't want to pass
>> text from a search box directly to an SQL database or to the Lucene
>> QueryParser.
>>

> Then why does solr use it by default?

Because it's a decent default?  It was also the only choice when Solr
was first created.  I don't see a compelling reason to change that.

Solr fits about the same place a database does in many applications...
it's certainly not meant for users to query directly.  There's
normally a web application that handles interaction with the user and
creates/submits queries to Solr.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com