lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: The logic of QueryParser
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:04:55 GMT
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Yonik Seeley
> <yonik@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Brian Hurt <bhurt42@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  I was just wondering what the logic was for defaulting to or instead of and.
>>
>> Largely historical.  I think the original rational was that it
>> probably fit better with the traditional vector space model.
>> There's also not a good reason to change the default, given that
>> QueryParser isn't meant for end users.
>>
> Thats pretty misleading Yonik.
>
> "In other words, the query parser is designed for human-entered text,
> not for program-generated text."
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/queryparsersyntax.html

*shrugs*, I didn't recall that phrase... but I'm not clear if you
disagree with what I'm saying, or if you just think that it's
inconsistent with the documentation.

I think of the Lucene QueryParser like SQL. SQL is text based and also
meant for human entered text - but for either very expert users, or
programmatically created queries.  You normally don't want to pass
text from a search box directly to an SQL database or to the Lucene
QueryParser.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com