lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Get Analyzed/Tokenized Field List
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:51:27 GMT
Ah, you didn't mention indexed but unstored in your original message,
just indexed/analyzed....

I don't think you can (someone jump in here if I'm wrong, please). The
problem
is that Lucene doesn't require any sort of schema. So if you are perfectly
free to
store a field in one document and NOT store it in another. All the variants
specified in IndexReader.fieldOption can quickly be determined by just
looking at the
various index files. But you'd have to spin through all the #documents# in
order
to answer the question "is this field ever stored?". Sounds like a table
scan in the
DB world.

I don't think Lucene keeps meta-data for this, and spinning through all the
documents
would be expensive...

Why do you want to know? Perhaps there's another way to satisfy the
use-case.

I could be way off base here, I'm speaking from general principles not
knowledge of
the code...

Best
Erick