lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Danil Ε’ORIN <torin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scale up design
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:15:44 GMT
GC times on large heaps are pretty painfull right now (haven't tried
G1 collector, knowledgeable people : please advise)

Also it's very dependent on your index and query pattern, so you could
improve it by using some -XX magic.

My recommendation is to scale horizontally (spit index into shards),
this way you'll be able to scale up much easier than moving to even
beefier server.
Initially if your server is big enough, you may host all your shards
on it, just in separate jvms.

If you are thinking on BIG indexes, you probably don't want to loose
them, so you also must think of replication, standbys and so on.
And from my experience overall cost (for same availability) is cheaper
when you use many smaller servers than few large ones.