lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Uwe Schindler <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject Re: Outof memory exception on using Integer.MaxValue
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:32:38 GMT
The TopDocs returning methods are not intended to get all results, so Max Int is not a valid
value. The maximum hit count allocates a PriorityQueue with so many slots. To retrieve all
hits (unsorted) you have to write your own collector. But that is not the natural use case
for a full text engine, which is to return the top n ranking results. For this reason its
not allowed to go beyond page 50 or like that in Google (just as example). So choose n as
big as how many top ranking results you are interested in. This number is normally not so
big, as most users are only interested in top ranking results.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, 28213 Bremen