lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ganesh" <emailg...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Scale up design
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:42:07 GMT
What is the advantage of going for 64 Bit. People claim performance and usage of more RAM.

In 32 Bit OS, JVM handles 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM then in case of 64 Bit, Single JVM cannot use
more than 1.5 GB RAM? What if we host multiple JVM instance in the single system.

Please help me with some more ideas. We need to design whether to scale out or scale up.

Regards
Ganesh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erick Erickson" <erickerickson@gmail.com>
To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: Scale up design

Here's a great intro to the garbage collection options:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/09/19/java-garbage-collection-boot-camp-draft/

@Ganesh:
The issue with 64 bit isn't really performance, it's that you can't allocate
much of
your memory to the JVM. So by definition your performance will tank much
earlier
with a 32-bit JVM no matter what physical hardware you're running on because
you're constrained by how much of the physical memory you *can* use.

Best
Erick