lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Hendriksen <dennis.hendrik...@kalooga.com>
Subject Multivalued scoring
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:04:24 GMT
Hi,

We are using a Lucene 3.x index to search for photo albums based on
textual properties such as photo album title/author/URL and photo
captions/URLs. Goal is to find the most relevant photo albums for a user
query and display the best matching photos for these albums.

In our current solution we append, for each photo album, all photo
captions in a catchall field and do a search. For each search result we
get the URL and do a look up in another Lucene index where each document
contains individual photo properties to find the best matching photos in
a photo album. These indexes are very small, but there is one for each
photo album. (see example below)

I've tried to use multivalued fields and exploit the fact that the
values are ordered so that for example the 2nd value of field:caption is
related to the 2nd value of field:URL.

The problem with this solution is that it is not possible to find the
best matching photos in the best photo albums (scoring of multivalued
fields is performed on all values together). As a workaround I've tried
storing some fields and creating the photo indexes on the fly using a
RAMDirectory. Besides the fact that this is not an elegant solution, the
increase in index size is unacceptable in our current setup.

What would be a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time,
Dennis

---

Example:

index: photo albums
doc1( field:title, field:author, field:url_album, field:id=unique_id )
doc2( field:title, field:author, field:url_album, field:id=unique_id )

index: <unique_id>
doc1(field:caption, field:url_photo)