lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
Subject Re: Outof memory exception on using Integer.MaxValue
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:24:05 GMT
I also not that this is a fundamental characteristic of the great performance of Lucene and
its related products since it allows cleanly managed resources. "this" is generally called
paging.

paul

Le 28 déc. 2010 à 10:32, Uwe Schindler a écrit :

> The TopDocs returning methods are not intended to get all results, so Max Int is not
a valid value. The maximum hit count allocates a PriorityQueue with so many slots. To retrieve
all hits (unsorted) you have to write your own collector. But that is not the natural use
case for a full text engine, which is to return the top n ranking results. For this reason
its not allowed to go beyond page 50 or like that in Google (just as example). So choose n
as big as how many top ranking results you are interested in. This number is normally not
so big, as most users are only interested in top ranking results.