lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Reske <d...@studiorga.de>
Subject Simple search question
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:14:40 GMT
Hello,

we are quite new to lucene.
At first we want to create a simple user search for our web
application.
My first thought was to map die 'display name' (= firstname +
lastname) to a single field (analysed but not stored)
and to put the database id of the user to a stored, not analysed field
(but indexed).

Then the user should have a simple text box, where he should be able
to write the whole name, parts of the name etc...
So a search for "jo do" should also return the user "John Doe". How to
create the query?

My first solution was to tokenize the string using whitespaces an add
an * to each word and then concatenate all the words and use the query
parser,
so that the search string would be "jo* do*"...but then I've read,
that I should not programmaticly construct a string and use the
queryparser.

So what is the right way?

Greets
Dirk