lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "David Fertig" <dfer...@cymfony.com>
Subject RE: best practice: 1.4 billions documents
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:57:04 GMT
> it has only problems.
Perhaps these known problems should be added to the doc api, so users who are encouraged to
start clean with the 3.x API don't build bad applications from scratch?

Parallel searching is extremely powerful and should not be abandoned.

-----Original Message-----
From: Uwe Schindler [mailto:uwe@thetaphi.de]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 11:19 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: best practice: 1.4 billions documents

There is no reason to use MultiSearcher instead the much more consistent and effective  MultiReader!
We (Robert and me) are already planning to deprecate it. MultiSearcher itsself has no benefit
over a simple IndexSearcher on top of a MultiReader since Lucene 2.9, it has only problems.

Use cases for real MultiSearchers are only the subclasses for "remote search" or (perhaps)
multi-threaded search, but the latter I would not recommend (instead let the additional CPUs
in your machine be free for other users doing searches in parallel). Multithreading a single
search should not be done, as it slows down multiple users accessing the same index at the
same time. Spend the additional CPU power for other things like warming searchers, indexing
additional documents, or filling FieldCache in parallel.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen