lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From maven apache <apachemav...@gmail.com>
Subject lucene query type
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:40:10 GMT
Hi:
There are types of TermQuery,TermRangeQuery,and the BooleanQuery and etc
built in lucene,and they can be combined to make a powerful search.

However I wonder if this is useful for a user in the client side?

For example,I build a web user interface with a search textfield(like the
google) for inputting,when user enter something to the textfield,I got it
and do the searching.

Now is that mean I should do something to the string from user?

Suppose user enter "lucene document" for searching, then I can change them
to "lucene AND document" or "lucene OR document" or "+lucene-document" or
.... and something else.

But the problem is that how did I know the intention of the user?

BTW,In my opinion there is always a contradiction between the *quantity* and
*quality* of the search result.

That's to say if I want the search result as precise as possible I should
use the "Lucene AND document" instead of the user entered string,however if
there is no precise result,it seems that I should use the "lucene or
document"(just return something to user).

So I am confused how to handle these problem.

PS:
Maybe this topic is not very a lucene question,but it is search related, and
you guys are experter of searching,so I asked for help. :)