lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene query type
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:58:07 GMT
Lucene will generally do the right thing without much help - docs with
more matches will score better and thus be presented first.  But you
can give it a helping hand, perhaps with some query boosting: build a
boolean query and add an AND query with a positive boost, then an OR
query with smaller or no boost.  Or do as you suggest: do an AND query
and if you get enough hits, quit, otherwise do an OR query and add
those results (deduped) to the first list.  Proximity qualifiers, or
span queries, can be helpful too, again with boost, so that docs with
"xxx lucene document yyy" can be made to score higher than "xxx lucene
aaa bbb ccc ddd some other junk document".

What is "best" is debatable, and dependent on your data and users.
Keeping everybody happy all the time is hard!

--
Ian.