lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: Search returning documents matching a NOT range
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:24:04 GMT
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Erick Erickson <> wrote:
> Has anyone opened a JIRA on this?

I'm not sure if we should call it a bug or not (in this particular
example, it would be nice if we could find a fix i think though).

Because in general we can't guarantee MultiSearcher(Searcher...) will
return the same results as MultiReader for MultiTermQueries like
RangeQuery... it depends on the rewrite method.

For the Filter rewrite, i think they will be mostly or always the same.

But when rewriting to booleanqueries, its going to be inconsistent by
definition, since the rewrite happens for each sub and then is
combined... but this isn't necessary equivalent to performing the
rewrite on a single MultiReader, especially when the rewrite method
has some notion of "top-N" even if N=max boolean clause count.

the inconsistencies i'm sure will revolve around things like exceeding
max clause count (probably even with CONSTANT_SCORE_AUTO!!!),
combine()ing queries that are really top-N rewrites (e.g. fuzzy or
using toptermsrewrite anywhere else), and maybe corner cases like your
example where the multitermquery rewrites to a simpler form for an
individual sub.

Maybe we should just deprecate and remove MultiSearcher? Why not just
use a MultiReader instead?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message