lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: precision and recall in lucene
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:19:15 GMT
Define precision. Define recall. Define measure <G>....

Sorry to give in to my impulses, but this question is so broad it's
unanswerable. Try looking at the Text REtrieval Conference for instance.
Lots of very bright people spend significant amounts of their careers
trying to just define what these mean. Much less how to measure them.

And what "good" precision and recall are varies
with the search space. And the users. An academic researcher may
be willing to spend days finding the one paper out there that speaks
to a very specific question. Your average web user won't click past
the 2nd page, maybe not the 1st.

So perhaps you can tell us what it is you want these measures
for and maybe we can come up with some answers that are actually
helpful...

Best
Erick