lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Israel Tsadok <itsa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Question
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 09:54:29 GMT
(If I may)
In Lucene terminology, an "index" is what would be a "database" in RDBMS
terminology. It's the whole thing.
A document is akin to a row in a table. Most of the interesting stuff in
lucene revolves around locating the document, not retrieving the data
actually stored inside it. This is done using Term Vectors, Norms, Term
Frequencies, Document Frequencies etc. These are not stored per document,
but are rather properties of the whole index, and they are therefore similar
to the concept of "index" in an RDBMS.

I hope I didn't make to much of a mess trying to clear things up. I probably
missed some parts and may have misrepresented others, but this is roughly
how I look at it.

Israel