lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yakob <jacob...@opensuse-id.org>
Subject Re: precision and recall in lucene
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:40:32 GMT
On 11/29/10, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Define precision. Define recall. Define measure <G>....
>
> Sorry to give in to my impulses, but this question is so broad it's
> unanswerable. Try looking at the Text REtrieval Conference for instance.
> Lots of very bright people spend significant amounts of their careers
> trying to just define what these mean. Much less how to measure them.
>
> And what "good" precision and recall are varies
> with the search space. And the users. An academic researcher may
> be willing to spend days finding the one paper out there that speaks
> to a very specific question. Your average web user won't click past
> the 2nd page, maybe not the 1st.
>
> So perhaps you can tell us what it is you want these measures
> for and maybe we can come up with some answers that are actually
> helpful...
>
> Best
> Erick

well when I read the ebook of "lucene in action" I came across this sentence.

"Searching is the process of looking up words in an index to find
documents where
they appear. The quality of a search is typically described using precision and
recall metrics. Recall measures how well the search system finds
relevant documents,
whereas precision measures how well the system filters out the irrelevant
documents."

I am just thinking of how to measure the precision and recall metrics
in lucene? I mean I just wanted to do an analysis of precision and
recall in my thesis that happened to use lucene as the framework. :-)

--
http://jacobian.web.id