lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Rewig <tre...@mufin.com>
Subject Re: Deleted File Handles - Index Writer
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:06:17 GMT
  Hi.
>> If I set
>> writer.setUseCompoundFile(false);
>> than I see a short time the 35 handles and than it drops to zero.
> Hmm what's happening during that short time?  Do you have a reader open?

Yes after a commit has been initiated, a short time a reader is still
open and that's ok. This behavior is therefore expected if I have
understood all correctly.
>> If I do not use the compound file format as my new default until the new
>> version with the fix is available, what would be the disadvantages?
> The big issue with CFS turned off is you risk running out of file
> descriptors if you have too many segments in your index.  The exact
> limit is very OS dependent though, so if you're on an OS that's
> generous, and mergeFactor stays low, then you should be fine.

Ok I think the limit of file descriptors would be a problem ... there
are 5 Liveindices.

At the moment I do not change the MergeFactor. So I think the
DEFAULT_MERGE_FACTOR with 10 is used. The only thing I changed is:

writer = new IndexWriter(directory, analyzer,
create,IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED);
writer.setRAMBufferSizeMB(48);

I think it is to risky to turn of the CFS, because I have no experience
with MergeFactor and the number of descriptors 5 Liveindices will use.
At the moment it looks as if I does not bump with the current
configuration into any limits, as long as I change the whole Index every
week. I leave the settings with CFS and wait for the fix. Is there a way
to patch the 3.0.2 Release version or have I wait for a future release?

Thanks for your help.
Thomas
Listen
Read phonetically