lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marc Sturlese <marc.sturl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance merging indexes with addIndexesNoOptimize
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:56:37 GMT

Thanks a lot Shai, couple of questions:

>> In Lucene 3x there is a new addIndexes which accepts Directory… that
>> simply registers the new indexes in the index, without running merges.
>> That makes addIndexes very fast.
With the lucene 3.X addIndexes which accepts Directory, if after the merge I
need to optimize the index using compound file, what would happen? Would
this optimize be slower than if I use the addIndexesNoOptimize?

>> But note that not running merges, or letting them finish, is not
>> recommended long term. The approach I've mentioned are good if you
>> want to quickly add new indexes and plan to run index optimization at
>> a later time.

Actually I always build all the "small indexes" from scratch and have to
optimize my final index using compound file (the merged one). If i do:
w.optimze() ;
w.close (false) ;
Would I be getting any benefit if the w.close (false) ?

Thanks in advance