lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Does a IndexSearcher call incRef on the underlying reader?
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:52:34 GMT
When you run a search, you call SearcherManager.get to obtain the
current searcher.

That does an incRef.

So if while this query is running a new searcher is swapped in, the
query is still save because it's holding a reference.  Ie the reader
will have a refCount of 1 at that point.

Then when the search finishes and calls SearcherManager.release, that
drops the readers refCount to 0, which closes it.

Note, though, that you must still lose your reference to the reader to
allow GC to clean it up!

Mike