lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Merge and commit behaviour - changed between 2.4 and 2.9?
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 23:18:20 GMT
Well, the merges continue running and altering the segments files, but
the changes done by the merges are not committed until the app calls
commit (or closes the IW).  Ie, no new segments_N file is written due
to merging after the last commit.

Mike

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Mark Harwood <markharw00d@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> OK. I'll double check the reports.
> So presumably when merges occur outside of transaction control (post commit) the post-merge
update of the segments_N file is managed safely somehow?
> I can see the logic in continuing file changes outside of transaction control because
the document updates are safely committed (flushed as new segments) and the merges are essentially
just a background tidying of committed state that can fail with no detrimental effect on the
previous transaction.

> On 5 Oct 2010, at 23:31, Michael McCandless wrote:
>
>> Hmm that shouldn't be the case, I think?
>>
>> In both 2.4 and 2.9.x (and all later versions), neither .prepareCommit
>> nor .commit wait for merges.
>>
>> That said, if a merge happens to complete before you call those
>> methods, then it is in fact committed.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Mark Harwood <markharw00d@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Having upgraded a live system from 2.4 to 2.9.3 the client is reporting a change
in merge behaviour that is causing some issues with their update monitoring logic.

>>> The suggestion is that any merge operations now complete as part of the IW.prepareCommit()
call rather than previously when they ran in the background after IW.commit calls.
>>> This seems to make sense to me but I couldn't see any direct reference to this
change in behaviour in changes.txt.