lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How about lucene's delete performance ?
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:50:08 GMT
There's a deleteAll() method on IndexWriter, which is very fast. After you
commit(), all documents won't be visible to searchers anymore. When the last
searcher will be closed, the documents will completely disappear from the
index. All in all it's quite a good approach to take.

You can also consider creating a new index once a week, and after you finish
adding documents, merging (perhaps even optimize() it), swap all your
searchers to use the new directory and delete the old one. That is only
relevant if you don't do deletes during the week (i.e., it's all or
nothing).

Shai