lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Pulkit Singhal <pulkitsing...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of Lucene to store data from RSS feeds
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:36:10 GMT
When you ask:
a) will each feed would form a Lucene document, or
b) will each database row would form a lucene document
I'm inclined to say that really depends on what type of aggregation
tool or logic you are using.

I don't know if "Tika" does it but if there is a tool out there that
can be pointed to a feed and tweaked to spit out documents with each
field having the settings that you want then you can go with that
approach. But if you are already parsing the feed and storing the raw
data into a database table then there is no reason that you can't
leverage that. From a database row perspective you have already done a
good deal of work to collect the data and breaking it down into chunks
that Lucene can happily index as separate fields in a document.

By the way I think there are tools that read from the database
directly too but I won't try to make things too complicated.

The way I see it, if you were to use the row at this moment and index
the 4 columns as fields ... plus you could set the feed body to be
ANALYZED (why don't I see the feed body in your database table?) ...
then lucene range queries on the date/time field could possibly return
some results. I am not sure how to get keyword frequencies but if the
analyzed tokens that lucene is keeping in its index sort of represent
the keywords that you are talking about then i do know that lucene
keeps some sort of inverted index per token in terms of how many
occurrences of it are there ... may be someone else on the list can
comment on how to extract that info in a query.

Sounds doable.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM,  <appy74@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to store data retrieved hourly from RSS feeds in a database or in Lucene
so that the text can be easily
> indexed for word frequencies.
>
> I need to get the text from the title and description elements of RSS items.
>
> Ideally, for each hourly retrieval from a given feed, I would add a row to a table in
a dataset made up of the
> following columns:
>
> feed_url, title_element_text, description_element_text, polling_date_time
>
> From this, I can look up any element in a feed and calculate keyword frequencies based
upon the length of time required.

> This can be done as a database table and hashmaps used to calculate word frequencies.
But can I do this in Lucene to