lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Merge and commit behaviour - changed between 2.4 and 2.9?
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:45:07 GMT
OK. I'll double check the reports.
So presumably when merges occur outside of transaction control (post commit) the post-merge
update of the segments_N file is managed safely somehow?
I can see the logic in continuing file changes outside of transaction control because the
document updates are safely committed (flushed as new segments) and the merges are essentially
just a background tidying of committed state that can fail with no detrimental effect on the
previous transaction.

On 5 Oct 2010, at 23:31, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Hmm that shouldn't be the case, I think?
>
> In both 2.4 and 2.9.x (and all later versions), neither .prepareCommit
> nor .commit wait for merges.
>
> That said, if a merge happens to complete before you call those
> methods, then it is in fact committed.
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Mark Harwood <markharw00d@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Having upgraded a live system from 2.4 to 2.9.3 the client is reporting a change
in merge behaviour that is causing some issues with their update monitoring logic.

>> The suggestion is that any merge operations now complete as part of the IW.prepareCommit()
call rather than previously when they ran in the background after IW.commit calls.