lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject RE: Lucene Software/Hardware Setup Question
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:02:28 GMT
On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 23:17 +0200, Kovnatsky, Eugene wrote:
> Thanks Toke. Very descriptive. A few more questions about your SSD
> drive(s)
>  - what is its current size

4 * 64GB Samsung MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA00 drives. They were pretty cool two
years ago and still work very well for search-servers (random writes are
not good, but we don't need that for searching):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/flash-ssd-hard-drive,2000-19.html

>  - do you project any growth in your index size

Yes. Hopefully an internal project for maintaining digital objects will
change gears during this year. This will result in objects with a lot of
meta data and some fulltexts. Depending on economy, the amount of
objects will range from 100.000+ to a few million. I would guesstimate
that this would mean a doubling of the index size, due to the richness
of the new objects.

Further out, the projections are unreliable. As a technician I hope for
a serious jump in size within a year or two, but I have hoped for that
the last two years. Politics does not move as fast as technology.

>  - if yes then how do you plan to correlate that with your hardware
> needs

A doubling of the index size makes the existing 256GB/machine a tight
fit. I seem to remember that there are two free slots in our servers, so
adding 2 new consumer-class SSDs is the obvious upgrade. We're switching
to a more memory- and CPU-efficient way of handling sorting and
faceting, so we should not need to boost CPU and RAM.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen