lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: How to find performance bottleneck
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:47:09 GMT
On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 12:22 +0200, Sergey wrote:
> When running application on Windows XP 32 bit machine the search time is 0.5 second.
JVM is IBM Java 5 for 32 bit.
> But when running the same application on much more powerfull Windows Server 2007 64 bit
machine the search time is 3 seconds. JVM is IBM Java 5 for 64 bit.

If your memory allocation (-Xmx) is the same, the 64 bit machine will
have less available heap due to the 64 bit pointers. This could result
in excessive garbage collection. Try increasing the memory allocation
for the 64 bit machine with 50% or more.

Besides that, there should be no significant difference and you're left
with profiling. I recommend Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
for general system and single process load inspection. I/O is often the
sinner, så check read and write calls.

Switching to the Java part, try using visualvm
https://visualvm.dev.java.net/
with the Visual GC-plugin to see where the time is spend.

- Toke Eskildsen