lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Cabansag, Ronald-Alvin R" <ronald-alvin.caban...@cengage.com>
Subject lucene norms cached twice
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:27:06 GMT

We are working with a large readonly lucene index(single segment) with large number of fields
and documents and are running into memory usage problems.

We found that when using a ReadOnlyDirectoryReader and IndexSearcher created using the same
reader, the norms are cached twice - first by the reader itself and second by the reader's
subreaders. Is there an easy way to avoid having the norms cached twice when we only have
a single subreader?

We thought of the following options:
1.) pass in the main reader as a subreader when creating the  IndexSearcher?  ( e.g. new IndexSearcher(mainReader,
IndexReader[] {mainReader}, int[] {0} )
2.) override ReadOnlyDirectoryReader.getSequentialSubReaders() method and return null. This
tells the IndexSearcher to use the main reader- ReadOnlyDirectoryReader.
3.) use SegmentReader.get(boolean, SegmentInfo, int) to create a ReadOnlySegmentReader that
we use as our main reader instead.

Are there any negative implications to the above approaches? Or are there better approaches
to the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alvin Cab
Cengage Learning