lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Zhang, Lisheng" <Lisheng.Zh...@BroadVision.com>
Subject RE: In lucene 2.3.2, needs to stop optimization?
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2010 06:47:28 GMT
Hi,

I read document/code and did some experiments, one possibility
is to raise mergeFactor to high value, say close to 2Billion,
then a lot of small files are created and after >500 docs are
created separately, search speed dropped sharply.

I noticed with our current data, if I add one doc then call
optimize(), it took about 7s, this is too slow for real time
search.

If I keep mergeFactor as 10 and donot call optimize(), does it
mean from time to time IndexWriter would optimize on background,
when it happens, it may take a few seconds (so Index will delay
a few seconds)?

Should I use high mergeFactor and optimize once a day, or use
default mergeFactor and donot call optimize? maybe latter is
better, but I am concerned about occasional slowness?

Currently I donot plan to keep IndexWriter constantly open, but
open/close for each index request.

Any suggestion to improve would be appreciated,

Lisheng