lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Too many open files
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:22:23 GMT
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#Why_am_I_getting_an_IOException_that_says_.22Too_many_open_files.22.3F

You are probably not closing all your searchers properly.  What
version of lucene are you using?  I think that something changed in
recent releases and old searchers that used to get garbage collected
had their files automatically closed, and that no longer happens.
Something along those lines anyway.  Maybe you need to store a
reference to the underlying Directory and call close() on that.

I expect that if you search and dig around in the list archives you'll
find a better explanation - or wait for someone else to explain it
properly.  But I'm pretty sure that the underlying message is correct
- make sure you close everything related to your old searchers.

As an aside, the problem might be less if you skipped the optimize
step.  In general you don't need to call optimize.

--
Ian.