lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Devshree Sane <devshree.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using FastVectorHighlighter for snippets
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:35:27 GMT
Thanks for your reply Koji.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Koji Sekiguchi <koji@r.email.ne.jp> wrote:

>  (10/09/22 3:24), Devshree Sane wrote:
>
>> I am a bit confused about the parameters that are passed to the
>> FastVectorHighlighter.getBestFragments() method. One parameter is a
>> document
>> id and another is the maximum number of fragments. Does it mean that only
>> the maximum number of fragments will be retrieved from document with given
>> id (even if there are more fragments in the same document)?
>>
>>  Correct.

I did a little experiment for this. Following are my observations.
Changing the number of characters from 100 to 1000 decreased the number of
fragments returned.

Is this because the document text was covered with a few 1000 character
fragments? If so, then this means that one fragment can contain more than
one occurrence of the query term. Is this so? If yes, is there a way to find
the number of occurrences of the query term inside a particular
snippet/fragment?

Also is there a way to get the beginning and ending positions/offsets in the
document of the snippet/fragment being returned?