lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From liat oren <oren.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Unexpected Results - using should and must in boolean query
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 12:04:27 GMT
Hi,

I am running a query and get some unexpected results.

When I run boolean query on a text field for the word X, using occur =
SHOULD, the results contain the word X.

However, when I add another boolean query on another field (country) for the
word Y, using occur = MUST, in the results I get only documents in country
Y, but from some reason, not only that I get documents that don't contain
the word X, they get higher score than those contain the word X.

If I change the occur of the word X in the query to MUST, it of course fixes
it, but I don't understand why the SHOULD "lost" its "power" when I added
the MUST on another field.

Could something like this can happen?
How can it be solved?

Many thanks,