lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>
Subject Re: File Handle Leaks During Lucene 3.0.2 Merge
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:59:47 GMT
  Hi Michael / Uwe

 >It's good to cache the reader, but, finalize would worry me too since
 >you have no control over when GC gets around to calling it... you risk
 >tying up resources for longer than necessary.

I did it this way, as I didn't want to over complicate the code by
introducing mechanisms to track the number of search threads using a
shared indexreader. Admittedly, its not a very clean solution but in my
case it does work. Is there a particular technique for knowing when to a
close a reader when there are multiple search threads using that reader?
Should I keep some kind of counter and override the close method of the
reader such that the underlying reader is only closed when everyone's
done with it?
> IndexWriter has a reader pool, internally, where it holds open
> SegmentReaders for the still-live segments in the index.  This is used
> by IndexReader.reopen to share open SegmentReaders.
>
> But the open files should correspond only to segments still "live" in
> the index.  After segments are merged away, these readers are dropped.
>   Is this what you are seeing?

I dont fully understand your explanation/question. When I run lsof, I am
seeing the following:

/usr/local/mailarchiva/server/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/logs/index/_jyr.cfs
(deleted)
/usr/local/mailarchiva/server/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/logs/index/_jyp.cfs
(deleted)

I assume these are left by the OS after the merge operation tried to
delete old segments. The OS is unable to delete the files. I think its
because our new code never closes the indexwriter, but rather uses the
indexwriter.commit() method to apply the changes. Is this correct?

Jamie