lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>
Subject Re: File Handle Leaks During Lucene 3.0.2 Merge
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:26:06 GMT
  Uwe

If I recall correctly when you call writer.getReader(), the returned
IndexReader can consume alot of memory with large indexes. To ensure
that the same index reader is reused across multiple search threads, I
keep a cached copy of the reader and return it. If a search thread
closes the reader, then it will be closed for the other search threads
and the search will fail. From my test, the finalize method in
VolumeIndexReader example I gave you is called. The file handle leaks
are coming from the core index loop, where I call .commit() as opposed
to closing the index. Since the writer stays open, handles left by merge
operations are never deleted. A solution is too close the index
periodically to force the handles to be swept up by the OS.

Jamie