lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Use of SimpleStringInterner in non Lucene App
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:56:09 GMT
Im currently using String.intern() in my app purely to reduce the memory
usage, this has worked well except the memory required for intern() go
into perm rather than heap, setting perm on different platforms is on
trivial so Im looking for a solution that works on Heap. (Now before you
say tune your applications please understand that my app is memory bound
based on how many files are loaded into it , which can be anything from
10 to 100,000, in the long term I am going to move to a database soln to
solve this issue, but in the short term I need intern() for heap memory)

Does SimpleStringInterner use heap, would it be sensible to use it for a
non lucene stuff, and what do the tableSize and maxChainLength
parameters mean. ?

thanks Paul