lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Amin Mohammed-Coleman <ami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hit exception flushing segment _0 - IndexWriter configuration
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 05:24:31 GMT
Somewhat embarrassingly I can't seem to reproduce the problem anymore!  I've tried to reproduce
it for the last hour now and no luck.  Sorry about that. If it happens again then I'll post
back to the list.

Thanks for your time.

Amin

On 3 Aug 2010, at 22:35, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Can you post the full exception?  And also the log output from
> IndexWriter.setInfoStream.
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Amin Mohammed-Coleman <aminmc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Apologies for re sending this email but I was just wondering if any one might be
able to advise on the below. I'm not sure if I've provided enough info.

>> Again any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Amin
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 1 Aug 2010, at 20:00, Amin Mohammed-Coleman <aminmc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am currently building an application whereby there is a remote index server
(yes it probably does sound like Solr :)) and users use my API to send documents to the indexing
server for indexing.  The 2 methods primarily used is add and commit. So the user can send
requests for documents to be added to the index and then can call commit.  I did a test where
i simulated a user calling the add method 10 times and then in a separate method call invoked
commit.   The thing I noticed when i turned the verbose setting for the IndexWriter was:

>>> hit exception flushing segment _0
>>>
>>> It may be worth mention the settings I have for my index writer:
>>>
>>> mergeFactor ="100"
>>> maxMergeDocs = "9999999"
>>>

>>> When i use my api to add 102 documents and then in a separate method call invoke
a commit I get no exception.  So I was wondering what is the best setting for the mergeFactor,
and should i be experiencing this exception after requesting a commit after adding 10 documents
to the index?