lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Amin Mohammed-Coleman <ami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hit exception flushing segment _0 - IndexWriter configuration
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 21:28:41 GMT
Hi

Apologies for re sending this email but I was just wondering if any one might be able to advise
on the below. I'm not sure if I've provided enough info.

Again any help would be appreciated.

Amin

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Aug 2010, at 20:00, Amin Mohammed-Coleman <aminmc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am currently building an application whereby there is a remote index server (yes it
probably does sound like Solr :)) and users use my API to send documents to the indexing server
for indexing.  The 2 methods primarily used is add and commit. So the user can send requests
for documents to be added to the index and then can call commit.  I did a test where i simulated
a user calling the add method 10 times and then in a separate method call invoked commit.
  The thing I noticed when i turned the verbose setting for the IndexWriter was:

> hit exception flushing segment _0
>
> It may be worth mention the settings I have for my index writer:
>
> mergeFactor ="100"
> maxMergeDocs = "9999999"
>

> When i use my api to add 102 documents and then in a separate method call invoke a commit
I get no exception.  So I was wondering what is the best setting for the mergeFactor, and
should i be experiencing this exception after requesting a commit after adding 10 documents
to the index?