lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From adasal <adam.salt...@gmail.com>
Subject Semantic Search research?
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2010 15:29:23 GMT
Does anyone on the list know about the nature of this research or
collaboration:-
A search engine based on '25 years of cutting edge research from the Indian
Institutes of Technology, the University of Delhi, the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, Harvard University, and the University of
California at Berkeley'?
It uses an algorithms described this way:
'... distributed electronic semantic intelligence (DESI) algorithms and our
word-sense disambiguation extraction technologies can automatically identify
the referential "meanings" embedded in various search terms.'
>From this description I can't get a handle on what the technology might be
that would be different to something obvious, that the referential meanings
in search terms would be important in disambiguating them, and using them
can form the basis for grouping search results.
This puts the emphasis on the disambiguation of the search terms which is a
different strategy to clustering on the basis of what topics returned
documents contain.

In short, my question is whether anyone knows of research in this area that
might fit the description in quotes?
I am aware of projects like SireN. Does anyone have any hints on how this
and known approaches may contrast?

Adam Saltiel